In this article, we will quickly look at one of the 4 chips in FPL: Free Hit. So, if you are not sure how free hit chips work in Fantasy Premier League, this article is for you.
What is Free Hit Chip in Fantasy Premier League?
The Free Hit chip allows managers to make unlimited free transfers for a single Gameweek. At the end of the Gameweek, the team reverts back to its original state before the Free Hit was activated.
This means that any transfers made while the Free Hit chip was active are temporary and only apply to that specific Gameweek.
When to use Free Hit Chip in FPL?
The Free Hit chip can be particularly useful in certain situations. For example, during a Blank Gameweek, when only a few teams are playing, or during a Double Gameweek, when some teams have more than one fixture. It allows managers to field a full team of players who are actually playing that week (or play twice in case of the double gameweek), or take advantage of players who might have favorable fixtures.
Read more about timing the free hit in our article: When to use Free Hit in FPL?
How to Use the Free Hit Chip?
If you are unsure how to activate free hit chip, check out our detailed guide here: How to activate Free Hit Chip in FPL?
When you activate the Free Hit chip, your team for that specific Gameweek will be altered based on the transfers you made. However, once the Gameweek is over, your team will revert back to how it was before the Free Hit chip was activated. The players you transferred in will leave your team, and the players you transferred out will return.
Strategy for Using the Free Hit Chip
The Free Hit chip is a powerful tool, but it should be used strategically. Here are some tips:
- Use during “blank” or “double” Gameweeks: These are the Gameweeks when only a few teams are playing or when some teams have more than one fixture. Using the Free Hit chip during these Gameweeks allows you to maximize your points potential.
- Consider fixture difficulty: When choosing players for your Free Hit team, consider the difficulty of their fixtures. Players with easier fixtures might score more points.
- Don’t forget about differentials: Differentials are players who are not widely selected by other managers but have the potential to score big. Including a few differentials in your Free Hit team could give you an edge over your competitors.
- Balance your team: While it might be tempting to fill your team with premium players, it’s important to have a balanced team. Make sure you have a good mix of premium, mid-priced, and budget players.
Remember, the Free Hit chip is a one-time use tool, so make sure to use it wisely.
Impact of Price Changes on the Free Hit Chip
Price changes can impact your team’s value over the course of the season. However, when you use the Free Hit chip, these price changes do not affect your team’s value. Here’s how it works:
- If a player’s price increases while he is in your Free Hit team, you won’t benefit from the price rise. Similarly, if a player’s price decreases while he is in your Free Hit team, you won’t suffer from the price drop.
- At the end of the Gameweek, when your team reverts back to its original state, any price changes that occurred during the Gameweek will be reflected. This means that if a player in your original team increased in price during the Gameweek, you will benefit from the price rise. Similarly, if a player in your original team decreased in price during the Gameweek, you will suffer from the price drop.
Free Hit Chip vs. Wildcard
The Free Hit chip and the Wildcard are two different chips in FPL, and they serve different purposes:
- The Free Hit chip allows you to make unlimited transfers for a single Gameweek, and then your team reverts back to its original state.
- The Wildcard allows you to make unlimited transfers for a single Gameweek, but the changes are permanent. Your team does not revert back to its original state.
Read more in our article: Wildcard vs. Free Hit – What is the difference?
Mistakes to Avoid When Using the Free Hit Chip
When using the Free Hit chip, there are a few common mistakes that managers should avoid:
- Using it too early: Since the Free Hit chip is a one-time use tool, using it too early in the season can leave you without this valuable resource during crucial Blank and Double Gameweeks later in the season.
- Ignoring fixture difficulty: When selecting players for your Free Hit team, it’s important to consider the difficulty of their fixtures. Choosing players with tough fixtures can limit your points potential.
- Forgetting about the next Gameweek: Since the Free Hit chip only lasts for one Gameweek, it’s important to consider how your team will look in the following Gameweek. Make sure you’re not left with a team full of problems once the Free Hit chip has expired.
How many free hits do you get in FPL?
In Fantasy Premier League, you get one Free Hit chip to use throughout the entire season. Read more: How many free hits do you get in FPL?
What is the button play free hit in FPL?
The “Play Free Hit” button in FPL is what you click when you want to activate your Free Hit chip. This allows you to make unlimited transfers for a single Gameweek without any point deductions. However, these changes are temporary and your team will revert back to its original state after the Gameweek ends.
Are Free Hit changes permanent in FPL?
No, the Free Hit is not permanent. When you use the Free Hit chip, the changes you make to your team only last for one Gameweek.
Do all players get points with Free Hit FPL?
All 11 players in your starting XI will earn points based on their performance in that particular Gameweek.
Can I use Free Hit and Triple Captain or Bench Boost at the same time?
No, you cannot use the Free Hit chip in conjunction with the Triple Captain or Bench Boost chips in the same Gameweek. According to the rules of Fantasy Premier League, only one chip can be played in a single Gameweek. So, you’ll need to plan your strategy carefully to decide when the best time is to use each of these chips throughout the season.