The Free Hit chip in Fantasy Premier League, if used strategically, can significantly impact a player’s overall ranking. This article aims to provide a comprehensive guide on when to use the Free Hit chip in FPL to maximize its benefits.
This article is a part of our series: What is Free Hit in FPL and how does it work?
Opportunities to use Free Hit in FPL 2023/24
- GW29: This is likely going to be the biggest blank gameweek of the season, ideal for free hit
- GW26: Smaller blank gameweek, an opportunity to free hit
- GW34: Smaller blank gameweek, another opportunity to free hit
- GW18: Very small blank gameweek, try to avoid using free hit here
- GW2: Do not use free hit here
As it stands, we lean towards using free hit in GW29, however, it is very far away, so once we have more information during the second half of the season, our chip strategy will change.
When to Use the Free Hit Chip
The timing of using the Free Hit chip can make a significant difference in your FPL performance. Here are some scenarios where the Free Hit chip can be particularly useful:
1. During Blank Gameweek
A blank gameweek is a round where certain teams don’t have a match due to scheduling conflicts, typically caused by domestic cup competitions. This means that players from these teams won’t earn any points for that particular gameweek.
Using the Free Hit chip during a blank gameweek can be a strategic move for several reasons:
- Maximizing Player Participation: The most obvious reason is to ensure that you have a full team of players who are actually playing in that gameweek. If several of your players’ teams aren’t playing, using the Free Hit chip allows you to temporarily replace them with players who are, thus maximizing your potential to score points.
- Avoiding Point Deductions: Normally, you’d have to use transfers to replace players who aren’t playing, and if you don’t have any free transfers left, this would result in a points deduction. The Free Hit chip allows you to avoid this by giving you unlimited free transfers for a single gameweek.
- Preserving Team Structure: If you have a team structure you’re happy with for the long term, using the Free Hit chip in a blank gameweek allows you to navigate the blank gameweek without making permanent changes to your team. Once the gameweek is over, your team reverts back to its original state.
- Capitalizing on Differential Picks: Blank gameweeks can often throw up unexpected heroes, with less popular players from less fancied teams stepping up to the plate. Using the Free Hit chip allows you to bring in these differential picks for one week without affecting your long-term team structure.
- Saving Wildcard: If you still have your Wildcard chip, using the Free Hit in a blank gameweek can help you save the Wildcard for when you want to make more permanent changes to your team.
Remember, the key to using the Free Hit chip effectively is planning. Keep an eye on the fixture schedule and try to anticipate when blank gameweeks might occur so you can use your Free Hit chip to its maximum potential.
2. During Double Gameweek
A double gameweek is a round where certain teams have more than one match due to rescheduled fixtures. This means that players from these teams have the opportunity to earn points from two matches in a single gameweek.
As with blank gameweeks, the key to using the Free Hit chip effectively in double gameweeks is planning. Keep an eye on the fixture schedule and try to anticipate when double gameweeks might occur so you can use your Free Hit chip to its maximum potential.
Double gameweeks and blank gameweeks usually happen in the second half of the season, so try to save your free hit chip for the second half of the season.
Common Mistakes When Using Free Hit
As with any strategic element of FPL, there are common mistakes and misconceptions associated with the use of the Free Hit chip. Understanding these can help you avoid pitfalls and use the chip more effectively.
- Misusing the Free Hit Chip: One common mistake is using the Free Hit chip too early in the season or during a Gameweek with no significant advantage. The chip is most effective during blank or double Gameweeks, or when your team is significantly impacted by injuries or suspensions.
- Overestimating the Impact: While the Free Hit chip can be a game-changer, it’s important not to overestimate its impact. It’s just one part of your overall strategy and should be used in conjunction with other tactics.
- Misunderstanding the Functionality: Some players misunderstand the functionality of the Free Hit chip, believing it to be a permanent solution like the Wildcard. Remember, the changes made with the Free Hit chip are temporary and only apply to one Gameweek.
The Free Hit chip is a powerful tool in FPL, offering the potential for significant points returns when used strategically. It’s particularly effective during blank or double Gameweeks. However, it’s important to remember that the Free Hit chip is just one part of your overall FPL strategy. It should be used judiciously and in conjunction with other tactics to maximize your points haul.