Transfers are a powerful tool in World Cup 2022 Fantasy as they allow you to change your squad between (and during) matchdays. In this article, we will quickly look at transfer rules and how transfers work.
This article is a part of series: How to play World Cup 2022 Fantasy
How many transfers you can make in FIFA World Cup 2022 Fantasy?
On each matchday, you will be awarded a certain number of free transfers, so you can make changes to your squad.
|Tournament stage||Number of free transfers||Number of free transfers you can carry to next Matchday|
|Before the MD1||unlimited||-|
|After MD1 starts||2 transfers||1|
|After MD2 starts||2 transfers||1|
|After MD3 starts||2 transfers||0|
|After MD3 ends, before R16 starts||unlimited||0|
|After R16 starts||4 transfers||0|
|After QF starts||5 transfers||0|
|After SF starts||5 transfers||0|
|After final (3rd place game) starts||6 transfers||0|
During the group stage, you can carry one free transfer to the next round, so you can have a maximum of three free transfers. In the elimination rounds, you cannot carry any transfers to the next round.
When are free transfers awarded in Fantasy World Cup?
Transfers are awarded at the start of each matchday. So:
- After start of Matchday 1, you are awarded 2 free transfers
- Afret start of Matchday 2, you are awarded 2 free transfers
- After start of Matchday 3, you are awarded 2 free transfers
Can you make additional transfers?
Yes, you can make more transfers on each matchday, but each additional transfer will cost you 3 points deduction from your points total.
That is not the number (4 points) that we are used to from FPL or UCL Fantasy. It is just a one-point difference, but it completely changes the way we look at points hits.
When additional transfer costs just 3 points (and we have more routes to points, see: World Cup 2022 Points System) it could be a good strategy to use 3-point hits more often, as it will not deduct so many points from your points total. Especially when it comes to targeting high-ceiling players playing against whipping boys.
Can you take transfers back in World Cup Fantasy?
Once you confirm your transfers, you cannot take them back.
Transfers WITHIN matchday
One of big news for FIFA World Cup 2022 Fantasy is, that you can make transfers AFTER the deadline. So you can bring in players for the current matchday after the first kickoff. HOWEVER, transferred-in player’s points will count for the current matchday only if you transfer out a player who is yet to play and transfer in a player who is yet to play. If either of them already played, the points for transferred in player will start counting from the next matchday.
The following table from Official Guidelines will help you better understand this:
When to use transfers in FIFA World Cup Fantasy?
- Use free transfers for tactical purpose, like transferring out injured players, eliminated players, or players who had bad fixtures ahead
- There are always some injuries and suspensions, so your main use of free transfers will be getting rid of players who do not play
- Use transfer to bring in players who have high points potential in the next rounds and good fixtures
- Use transfers to bring in the best captain for the next matchday – captaincy plays a huge role in World Cup Fantasy and you should try to always have the best captaincy option in your team for each matchday
- Use additional transfers for -3 points to bring in high-ceiling players playing against easy opposition