Which Benfica players should you consider for your Fantasy Champions League team in the new 2023/24 season?
This article is part of the series: UCL Fantasy Matchday 1: Tips, Best Picks & Captain
Best Benfica players for UCL Fantasy 2023/24
Samuel Soares (4.0m, Goalkeeper) – 1/10
- Now likely not an option for our UCL Fantasy teams, as Benfica bought Trubin from Sachtar and he already start the last game for Benfica
- Vlachodimos joined Nottingham Forest and Soeares should be now the number-one Benfica goalkeeper
- Benfica players were an amazing source of points in the previous season, however, they kept only 2 clean sheets
- OK group for Benfica, there is a potential for a few clean sheets against Salzburg or Real Sociedad, although Salzburg is an attacking team that tends to score almost against everyone, in the previous campaign they scored in 5/6 of group stage games
Otamendi (5.0m, Defender) – 6/10
- Top for balls recovered in the last season, historically do very well in balls recovered
- offers a slight goal threat after set pieces
- but he is getting too many yellow cards
Joao Neves (4.5m, Midfielder) – 1/10
- budget enabler
- started 4/5 of matches for Benfica this season.
- Defensive mid, so expect points for balls recovered but not attacking returns.
Joao Mario (8m, Midfielder) – 4/10
- a hero from the previous Champions League season, where he delivered in almost every game and was even a captaincy option
- A price rise to 8m might be too much, as there are many other midfielders in a similar price range that could do well
- But still the main man for Benfica
- On Penalties
- 17G + 7A in Liga Portugal in last season, however, he is yet to register an attacking return this season
- The lack of form is a bit worrying and considered his increased price, he will likely not be in many fantasy teams this season
Rafa Silva (8.5m, Forward) – 5/10
- the man in form among Benfica players
- similarly priced as Joao Mario (8m), but Rafa Silva is in better form with 3G + 4A in 6 games for Benfica this season
- tricky fixture on Matchday 1 against Salzburg, but there could be goals at both ends
Di Maria (8m, Forward) – 3.5/10
- has also solid form with 5G + 1A in 6 matches
- Historically tends to do well in the Champions League
Other Group D players to pick in UCL Fantasy
Find other players to consider for your Fantasy Champions League team from Group D.
- Best Inter Milan players to pick in UCL Fantasy
- Best Real Sociedad players to pick in UCL Fantasy
- Best Salzburg players to pick in UCL Fantasy
Goalkeepers, defenders, midfielders & forwards to pick in UCL Fantasy
Also, find the best players for your UCL Fantasy team based on their position.