This article focuses on converting American odds, commonly used in the United States, to decimal odds, popular in Europe, Australia, and Canada.
Understanding American & Decimal Odds
- American Odds: These are either positive or negative. Positive odds indicate the profit on a $100 bet, while negative odds show how much needs to be bet to win $100.
- Decimal Odds: This format includes the stake in the total payout and is known for its simplicity in calculation.
How to Convert American Odds to Decimal?
The conversion method differs based on whether the American odds are positive or negative.
For Positive American Odds:
Formula: Decimal Odds = (American Odds / 100) + 1
In other words, divide the American odds by 100 and add 1 to the result.
For Negative American Odds:
Formula: Decimal Odds = (100 / Absolute Value of American Odds) + 1
In other words, divide 100 by the absolute value of the American odds and add 1 to the result.
Step-by-Step Conversion from American Odds to Decimal
Positive American Odds:
- Example: American Odds = +150
- Conversion: Decimal Odds = (150 / 100) + 1 = 1.50 + 1 = 2.50
Negative American Odds:
- Example: American Odds = -500
- Conversion: Decimal Odds = (100 / 500) + 1 = 0.20 + 1 = 1.20
Use our Fraction Odds to Decimal, American & Probability Converter
For a quicker, error-free conversion, use our online tool: Fraction Odds to Decimal, American, Probability (Converter), which seamlessly converts decimal odds to fractional, American odds, or even probability percentages.